My sister Mel is embarking on a 3 month kitchen renovation. She will not have use of a stove or oven but will have a toaster over, microwave, Crockpot, outdoor grill, and maybe a Foreman grill or Panini machine.
Let’s extend our hospitality to her and her family by sending stove/ovenless recipes.
I’ll start us out…
Chicken Tostadas adapted from Marcela Valladolid (FoodTV) 4 servings
• 8 tostadas (fried in oil or toasted in a toaster oven)
• 1 cup refried beans, warmed (in microwave) (You could use soft beans, mashed to avoid fat of refried.)
• 4 cups cooked chicken, shredded (Buy rotisserie.)
• 2 cups finely shredded lettuce
• 1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced into rings
• 8 radishes, thinly sliced
• 1 cup crumbled queso fresco or mild feta cheese (or Monterey Jack)
• Mexican sour cream or regular sour cream, for drizzling
*1/2 cup chopped olives
*1 chopped tomato
* = optional
Spread the tostadas with the refried beans. Top with the chicken, lettuce, onion rings, radishes, and cheese. Drizzle with sour cream, top with a dollop of salsa, and serve.
Thank you, Chris, for sending this B B Q BEEF recipe!
1 (15 OZ) CAN TOMATO SAUCE 1/4 tsp PEPPER
1 CUP CHOPPED ONION FEW DROPS HOT PEPPER SAUCE
1/4 CUP CHOPPED GREEN PEPPER 2 1/2 LBS BONELESS SHOULDER
2 Tbs PACKED BROWN SUGAR ROAST -OR- CHUCK ROAST -OR-
2 Tbs WORCESTERSHIRE SAUCE BRISKET (Most Lean)
2 tsp DRY MUSTARD GARLIC POWDER
1 1/2 tsp SALT ( I use 1 tsp) 2 Tbs FLOUR
TRIM EXCESS FAT FROM ROAST. CUT MEAT TO FIT COOKER. COMBINE TOMATO SAUCE, ONION, GREEN PEPPER, BROWN SUGAR, WORCESTERSHIRE SAUCE, MUSTARD, SALT, PEPPER, GARLIC POWDER & HOT PEPPER SAUCE. POUR OVER MEAT IN COOKER. COVER & COOK ON LOW 10-12 HRS OR UNTIL MEAT IS VERY TENDER. LIFT MEAT FROM COOKER. COOL LIGHTLY & SLICE ACROSS GRAIN. TURN COOKER ON HIGH. SKIM OFF FAT IN COOKER, WHEN MIXTURE BUBBLES, STIR IN FLOUR BLENDED WITH 1/4 CUP WATER. RETURN MEAT TO COOKER & HEAT, COVERED, 15 MINS. SERVE ON SPLIT BUNS.